ACADEMIC WORKS TUTORIAL – SY2016-17
CPS has a new web-based scholarship application system called CPS Academic Works.
Academic Works is a web-based scholarship management tool for Chicago Public Schools 3rd – 12th grade students. Students are able to apply for many CPS Strategic Scholarships through Academic Works. All CPS Strategic Scholarships and almost 200 external scholarships can be found in in the system! Every scholarship that is in the CPS College Scholarship Guide is listed in the system. Every new scholarships are added to the system during scholarship season (December – May).
There will be no paper applications for CPS Strategic Scholarships such as the Wentcher Foundation Scholarships, CME Group Mayoral Award for Student Achievement, City Treasurer’s Black History Month Essay Competition Scholarship, CPS Dream Fund Scholarship. CPS students will only be able to apply for many of the CPS Strategic Scholarships through Academic Works.
Benefits of CPS Academic Works:
- No paper applications to complete! Most of the CPS Strategic Scholarship applications are online. Letters of recommendation, electronic recommendation forms, official transcripts and many other documents can be uploaded to the system. Students will be able to view the status of recommendation requests they have submitted and can send reminders to their recommenders.
- The system will match students to scholarships for which they meet the minimum requirements. This can only happen once the students have completed the Academic Works General Scholarship Application.
- Review almost 200 scholarships and free summer programs through the system.
Scholarships and scholarship programs in CPS Academic Works:
There are three types of opportunities in the system:
- “Recommended” – Academic Works will “recommend” CPS Strategic Scholarships for which you meet the minimum requirements in the “Recommended” Opportunities section of your account.
- “Apply” – these are CPS Strategic Scholarships
- “External” – these are CPS Strategic Scholarships and other national opportunities that require students to apply on an external site provided by the scholarship provider.
How to login: CPS students please review the attached CPS Academic Works login instructions.
CPS students must login and complete the General Scholarship Application before you will be permitted to apply for any of the CPS Strategic Scholarships. Note: non-CPS students cannot complete any applications in CPS Academic Works; they can however, review over 180 scholarship opportunities that are listed as “External” opportunities.
Elementary school students should work with their parents to log into the system. Formal communication is forthcoming!