Jumpstart is an opportunity for Chicago’s rising seniors to begin college and build a foundation for their future career during the year leading up to their graduation. Students will complete 5 college courses to earn a semester of transferable college credit and a basic certificate in a career pathway that will support a postsecondary plan to pursue a 4-year degree, 2-year degree, or enter the workforce.
Jumpstart Application Process
- Complete the Jumpstart Application so your information is shared with the program. (5-10 Minutes)
- Complete the City Colleges of Chicago online application, available at ccc.edu/apply. (5-10 Minutes)
- Select Option: “Pursue a limited amount of courses as a visiting student, personal interest or as a dual enrollment/credit student. This option is not eligible for financial aid.”
- Don’t worry about that Financial Aid piece, Jumpstart includes free tuition, books and CTA travel.
- Select the correct “Campus Location” and “Semester Term” which for most pathways is Summer 2020.
- Once you complete, you will receive an email from CCC thanking you for applying; then 24-72 hours later, you will receive your CCC ID#, email address and my.CCC.edu student portal login information.
- For help with the CCC Application of Student Account information, either call 773-COLLEGE or chat live with CCC.
- Complete the Dual Enrollment Forms to register and submit to Melina Angeles at email@example.com. (5-10 Minutes)
- The forms linked above can be completed electronically on a laptop, tablet or cell phone using an application like Adobe Fill & Sign, DocHub, Lumin and others.
- There are two pages that need to be signed by both the student and guardian.
- Counselors have submitted Official Transcripts and ID Photos for your registration file.
- The Checklist can be confusing because it’s not for Jumpstart, but you can list your pathway choice on there.
- Complete the CCC Read to Write Placement Exam by logging into my.CCC.edu. (60-180 Minutes)
- You must review the slides linked above for instructions on how to complete the exam.
- You can access Bright Space, the portal for testing, about 24-72 hours after applying for CCC admissions.
- You can submit ACT or SAT scores instead of testing.
- You can review Preparing for the Read to Write Placement Exam.
- Please take the exam seriously, do not plagiarize!
Jumpstart Program Highlights
- Open application for all eligible juniors at public, charter, and options schools.
- Includes free tuition, transportation, and books for all students who participate.
- Various career pathways offered at City College Campuses across the city.
- Commitment to complete 5-6 courses during 3 semesters of college enrollment prior to graduation.
Jumpstart Intended Outcomes
- Earn at least 15 college credits, a full semester of transferable credit before graduation.
- Achieve a Basic Certificate in the Jumpstart Career Pathway they pursue.
- Access internship, externship, networking, and career exposure opportunities.
- Celebrate success with an Early College Recognition Cord presented in a citywide ceremony.
Jumpstart Student Eligibility
- Current juniors in the Rising Senior Class of 2021, on-track with no recovery needs who demonstrate a commitment to education with at least 90% attendance and consistency with at least a 2.5 GPA.
- All applicants must complete the City Colleges of Chicago’s Read to Write placement exam (CAD Technology requires the ALEKS Math placement exam) as course requirements vary.
- Requires an early release schedule to begin the day in high school and end the day in college.
Click below on the names of the City College of Chicago campuses to access more details and learn about the Jumpstart Career Pathways offered at that location.
Click below to access Jumpstart Resources to share with your family and community.
Jumpstart Early College Certificate Program Partners
Early College & Career Education
Office of College & Career Success